How to Maintain a Fur Coat Fur Storage Fur CleaningDark Green Plucked Beaver Jacket Buckled Sleeves and Belt
Given the right attention, your fur coat will make you look gorgeous for decades. In fact, you’ll probably get tired of it before it wears out. While today’s furs can be trendy, you can even restyle them after a few years to keep in step with fashion — if they’ve been pampered properly.
Unless you have a very delicate fur like chinchilla, your fur coat is a fairly durable item and must simply be treated with common sense. Furs like cold, hate heat. They don’t like friction. They don’t like chemicals. They like space. They like to be cleaned often, but only by a fur professional.
1. Insure your fur on your homeowner’s policy for its replacement value, so you won’t be heartbroken in case of theft. Furriers usually offer nominal insurance coverage while your coat is in storage and sometimes make further coverage available for a small fee.2. Give it a good home. Be sure you put it in a coat closet that is not exposed to light (which will fade your fur) or heat. Check for hot water or steam pipes in the wall. Then be sure it has room to breathe and isn’t being crushed by other garments.
3. Hang your fur on a broad-shouldered or padded hanger with a long neck. No wire hangers. Ideally, ask your furrier for a professional hanger.
4. Don’t cover it in a garment bag. Your fur prefers air circulation, to prevent its leather side from drying. If you absolutely must keep it in a bag for a short period of time, be sure it is in a loosely woven cloth bag.
5. Accessorize wisely. Don’t pin jewelry on your fur, and avoid sharp necklaces or bracelets that could snag your fur. Don’t use your shoulder bag on a consistent basis, since it will wear the hairs off and give your coat a bald spot. Consider wearing a scarf around your neck to protect the collar, which can be quickly matted.6. Avoid insecticides, mothproofing and other chemicals around on your fur, including perfume or hairspray directly on your fur. Perfume contains alcohol, which can dry your pelts. Once a perfume gets into your fur — including cedar from a cedar chest — it could be there to stay. Oils in the leather of your fur can become rancid and smell.
7. If your fur gets wet, don’t panic. Most furs handle snow and a light rain with ease. Shake it out and hang it to dry in a well-ventilated room, at home or office. Resist the temptation to speed the drying process by using a hair dryer or hanging it near a heat source. Fur does not like heat. After it dries, shake it again. Do not comb or brush it. If its hairs are a little bristly, simply smooth them with your hand. If your fur has been soaked through, however, take it immediately to your fur retailer for proper treatment.
8. Your fur coat and your car, best friends? Probably not. Furs don’t do well with friction or crushing, both of which they experience in your car. Use common sense when sliding into the seat, so you’re not too hard on your fur. To avoid a telltale flattened bottom print on your fur, don’t sit on it if possible, or at least not on the same spot consistently. Shake out any spots like that on your fur when you exit your vehicle. On long drives, take off your fur and wear it over you like a blanket, if you need to keep warm.
9. Keep your fur in mind when you’re on the move. Double-check your insurance policy to make sure you’re covered in case of loss at a restaurant or while traveling. At a restaurant, if the cloak room looks suspicious or overcrowded, don’t check your coat. Don’t hang it on a hook or coat tree. Fold it neatly on a chair at your table and cover with a napkin.
On a plane, the closet for hanging luggage is not the best place for your fur. When you get to your destination, you might find your fur too crushed to wear. Instead, leave it lightly on your lap for a super-lux, cozy blanket or fold it loosely, lining out, and place it at the top of an overhead bin very near you. But find a bin that is already nearly full, and put your coat on top of other luggage. Don’t tempt anyone to place luggage on top of your coat.
10. Always send your coat on summer vacation. Nothing shortens the longevity of your fur like keeping it in your closet during a long, hot summer. Send it to your furrier for professional storage. This is important every year, for a fur, a shearling, a fur-trimmed garment and even a fur hat or scarf. Unless you don’t intend to wear your fur for very long, take it in for cold storage. It’s not very expensive, and this is the single best thing you can do to care for your fur. It definitely is necessary.
11. Have your fur cleaned regularly by a fur specialist, not a dry cleaner. Furs must be cleaned by a special process. Your fur should be cleaned every year, unless it hasn’t been worn hardly at all. In that case, have it cleaned at least every other year. Besides just cleaning, this conditions your fur, makes it look better and is good for your fur. When you take your fur in for cleaning, this is also the time when your furrier gives it a check-up for any necessary repairs. Always have repairs done immediately, before little problems turn into big headaches.
Cleaning is also necessary for shearlings and fur-trimmed garments, but these usually require special attention.
Since 1910 the Marc Kaufman Fur Family has been manufacturing fur coats and fur jackets in NYC , designing luxury furs, repairing luxury furs and altering along with providing cold fur storage and fur cleaning for fur stores and individuals. With over 100 years of fur expertise “Marc Kaufman Furs “A Name You Could Trust for All your Fur Needs“.
“Experience Does Matter”
World renowned for our luxurious furs and craftsmanship, our fur coats are worn by socialites, celebrities, hip hop artists and just ordinary people that want to be warm and look beautiful. When you purchase a fur at
Marc Kaufman Furs NY you know that you are getting a quality fur coat, backed by reliability, great customer care and service.
Marc Kaufman Furs in NYC has the most complete selection of the finest fashion fur coats: full length mink coats, mink strollers, mink jackets, fox coats, fox jackets, sable coats, and sable strollers. And for the softest in furs we have the finest Mink coats, Mink jackets, Chinchilla coats, Chinchilla jackets, Lynx coats, Lynx jackets, Sable coats, Sable Jackets and many other types of fur jackets and fur coats. A full range of fur colors including mahogany mink, black mink, and whiskey mink. All furs at very attractive prices. We can also customize a color to your individual taste.
Buying a Marc Kaufman Fur is the Perfect Luxury Gift to give your loved one. During Christmas,Your Anniversary, a Birthday, Mothers Day or just saying I Love You, surprise them with The Best Gift Idea, a Marc Kaufman Fur.
Our Designer Furs come from different parts of the world. We have some of the most beautiful Italian designed fur coats,some French designed fur garments and some beautifully designed fur coats from our NY fur designers. I must say we have a beautiful fur collection.
Special Orders is our Specialty. We can take a collar from one fur coat, a sleeve treatment from another fur coat, a color from another fur coat, It’s all your Choice.
Marc Kaufman Furs has a modern cold fur storage vault and a special fur cleaning facility all in NYC. This fur cleaning facility was designed to clean furs, clean leathers and clean shearlings. Special fur cleaning methods were passed down from 3 generations of Kaufman’s.
Expert Fur Remodeling, we offer many designer styles that will modernize your older fur.
Fur is no longer just for warmth on the coldest of days, furs has moved into the hot “must have” fashion category and is worn from day to night and across all seasons.
Purchasing a Marc Kaufman Fur is a perfect Luxury Gift for your Lady or for your Man. Every time they wear this Marc Kaufman Fur, they will feel the warmth and memory of their gift from you and the occasion that this gift was given.Hooded Black Mink Fur Jacket with Fox Trim, exclusively from Marc Kaufman Furs
Marc Kaufman Furs NYC NY 10001 212 563 3877
Marc Kaufman Furs in New York City, NY ships your fur purchases and rentals to wherever you may be: Chicago, Illinois, Detroit, Michigan, Buffalo, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, California, Minnesota, Seattle, Washington, Philadelphia, Taos, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Atlanta, Georgia, Portland, Oregon, Park City, Utah, Idaho, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Wyoming, Montana, Aspen, Colorado, Missouri, Anchorage, Alaska, Moscow, Russia, London, UK, England, Seoul, South Korea, Geneva, Gstaad, Lausanne, Zurich, Switzerland, Germany, Paris, Chamonix, France, Austria, Italy, Dubai, UAE, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, China, Tokyo, Osaka, Japan, Toronto, Whistler, British Columbia, Quebec, Canada, Helsinki, Finland, Stockholm, Sweden, Copenhagen, Oslo, Norway, Melbourne, Sydney, Australia, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Singapore; to all 50 States, and just about anywhere else in the World! With over 2000 quality furs to choose from, and the option to design your own, Marc Kaufman Furs of NYC has the most extensive online fur selection in the World.