How to Take Care and Maintain a Shearling Clean a Shearling Once a Year
Basic Steps to Taking Care of Shearling Coats and Jackets
- Rule #1 – Never put the coat into a washing machine or a dryer! With few exceptions, most shearling products need to be either dry cleaned or “air-dryed”. A trip through the washing machine and a dryer is a splendid way to kill a high-quality shearling coat product!
- Rule #2 – Frequent small cleanings are good. What this means is that you do not want to let dirt get heavily soiled into the jacket – as it can be very difficult to remove, if at all. Instead, clean the jacket soon afterit gets dirty.
- Rule #3 – Keep the jacket away from open flames or high heat sources! This not only will damage the shearling but can also damage the leather too.
- Rule #4 – Avoid prolonged exposure to strong sunlight – such as hanging the coat or jacket in a sunny windows for weeks at a time – as this can bleach out the jacket.
- Rule #5 – Long term storage. Do NOT use a plastic garment bag, as it does not breathe and allows moisture to get trapped. Instead, use a cloth garment bag that allows for air movement.
- Rule #6 – Give the jacket some space. Hang the jacket or coat loosely – not stuffed tightly among other clothes. You want it to hang naturally, not in some contorted way.
- Rule #7 – Speaking of hanging, always hang a shearling jacket on a hangar – a stout one. Never drape it over a doorknob or other round point like that (such as on a coat rack) unless the jacket specifically has a place that it can be hung from (most do).
- Rule #8 – When wet, just let the jacket air-dry.
- Rule #9 – Clean the jacket in the spring, and clean it good. Winter solvents and salt will accumulate on the jacket and, if not removed, slowly destroy the jacket. Clean in spring and then forget about it til next season.
- Rule #10 – Just say no to silicone. Silicone and shearling/leather jacket products don’t mix.
- Rule #11 – Don’t put adhesive stickers on the jackets, as the stickers – when removed – may pull out some of the fabric.
Summing it Up
After reading the above list, you may have come to the conclusion that a high quality shearling jacket may not be worth the trouble of owning. Truth is, a high quality jacket is very, very easy to take care of. And is incredibly versatile – functioning as a gorgeous day-use jacket, backwoods jacket and just about everything in between.
It just needs to be remembered that shearling is a different type of insulation than other fabrics – and thus requires its own unique brand of care.
Since 1910 the Marc Kaufman Fur Family has been manufacturing fur coats and fur jackets in NYC , designing luxury furs, repairing luxury furs and altering along with providing cold fur storage and fur cleaning for fur stores and individuals. With over 100 years of fur expertise “Marc Kaufman Furs “A Name You Could Trust for All your Fur Needs“.Brown Sheared Mink Fur Coat, exclusively from Marc Kaufman Furs
“Experience Does Matter”
World renowned for our luxurious furs and craftsmanship, our fur coats are worn by socialites, celebrities, hip hop artists and just ordinary people that want to be warm and look beautiful. When you purchase a fur at
Marc Kaufman Furs NY you know that you are getting a quality fur coat, backed by reliability, great customer care and service.
Marc Kaufman Furs in NYC has the most complete selection of the finest fashion fur coats: full length mink coats, mink strollers, mink jackets, fox coats, fox jackets, sable coats, and sable strollers. And for the softest in furs we have the finest Mink coats, Mink jackets, Chinchilla coats, Chinchilla jackets, Lynx coats, Lynx jackets, Sable coats, Sable Jackets and many other types of fur jackets and fur coats. A full range of fur colors including mahogany mink, black mink, and whiskey mink. All furs at very attractive prices. We can also customize a color to your individual taste.Grey Fox and Blue Finnish Raccoon Fur Coat exclusively from Marc Kaufman Furs in NYC
Buying a Marc Kaufman Fur is the Perfect Luxury Gift to give your loved one. During Christmas,Your Anniversary, a Birthday, Mothers Day or just saying I Love You, surprise them with The Best Gift Idea, a Marc Kaufman Fur.Our Designer Furs come from different parts of the world. We have some of the most beautiful Italian designed fur coats,some French designed fur garments and some beautifully designed fur coats from our NY fur designers. I must say we have a beautiful fur collection.
Special Orders is our Specialty. We can take a collar from one fur coat, a sleeve treatment from another fur coat, a color from another fur coat, It’s all your Choice.
Marc Kaufman Furs has a modern cold fur storage vault and a special fur cleaning facility all in NYC. This fur cleaning facility was designed to clean furs, clean leathers and clean shearlings. Special fur cleaning methods were passed down from 3 generations of Kaufmans.
Expert Fur Remodeling, we offer many designer styles that will modernize your older fur. Fur is no longer just for warmth on the coldest of days, furs has moved into the hot “must have” fashion category and is worn from day to night and across all seasons.Slate-colored Rabbit Fur Vest with Fox Fur Collar
Marc Kaufman Furs NYC NY 10001 212 563 3877
Marc Kaufman Furs in New York City, NY ships your fur purchases and rentals to wherever you may be: Chicago, Illinois, Detroit, Michigan, Buffalo, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, California, Minnesota, Seattle, Washington, Philadelphia, Taos, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Atlanta, Georgia, Portland, Oregon, Park City, Utah, Idaho, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Wyoming, Montana, Aspen, Colorado, Missouri, Anchorage, Alaska, Moscow, Russia, London, UK, England, Seoul, South Korea, Geneva, Gstaad, Lausanne, Zurich, Switzerland, Germany, Paris, Chamonix, France, Austria, Italy, Dubai, UAE, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, China, Tokyo, Osaka, Japan, Toronto, Whistler, British Columbia, Quebec, Canada, Helsinki, Finland, Stockholm, Sweden, Copenhagen, Oslo, Norway, Melbourne, Sydney, Australia, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Singapore; to all 50 States, and just about anywhere else in the World! With over 2000 quality furs to choose from, and the option to design your own, Marc Kaufman Furs of NYC has the most extensive online fur selection in the World.