Repurposing a mink coat into a blanket is a creative and sustainable way to give new life to an old or unused garment. However, it’s important to approach this project with care, as mink fur is delicate and requires special handling. Here’s a general guide on how you might go about transforming a mink coat into a blanket:
A professional Furrier is Recommended.
Materials and Tools Needed:
- Mink coat
- Lining fabric (optional)
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Measuring tape
- Fabric marker or chalk
- Assess the Coat: Examine the mink coat to determine its size and condition. Make sure it’s clean and in good shape, as you don’t want to use damaged fur for your blanket.
- Decide on the Size: Decide how large you want your blanket to be. You can choose to use the entire coat or just a portion of it, depending on your preferences and the size of the coat.
- Cut the Coat: Using a furrier knife, carefully cut the mink coat according to your desired size and shape. Be precise and take your time to ensure even edges.
- Lining (Optional): If you want to add a lining to your blanket for extra warmth or to enhance its appearance, cut a piece of lining fabric to the same size as your mink fur piece.
- Pin and Sew: If you’re using a lining, pin the mink fur piece and the lining fabric together with the fur side facing inwards. Leave a small opening for turning the blanket right side out. If you’re not using a lining, skip this step.
- Sew the Edges: Using a sewing machine or hand stitching, sew along the edges, leaving the small opening you created in step 5. Make sure to use a strong and appropriate needle and thread for sewing fur.
- Turn Right Side Out: Carefully turn the blanket right side out through the opening you left. Be gentle with the mink fur to avoid damaging it.
- Close the Opening: Hand stitch or machine sew the opening closed.
- Re-block Coat: Lay coat on table, slightly dampen coat and stretch until garment is flat or in the shape that you are looking for. Do not over dampen, because fur can tear easily
- Finish the Edges (Optional): If desired, you can add a decorative border or trim to the edges of your mink fur blanket for a polished look.
- Care and Maintenance: Mink fur requires special care. Avoid exposing it to direct sunlight, excess moisture, and heat. Store it in a cool, dry place and consider professional cleaning when necessary.
Please note that repurposing a mink coat into a blanket may not be to everyone’s taste, as it involves altering a luxury item. Consider the sentimental and ethical aspects of such a project before proceeding. Additionally, if you’re unsure about any of the steps or lack the necessary sewing skills, it’s a good idea to consult a professional furrier or tailor for guidance and assistance.
212 West 30th St
NYC NY 10001
Fur expert in fur remodeling and repairs